Some "gotchas" to watch out for when rescuing coins abandoned by Coinomi, or otherwise lost, using Ian Coleman's BIP39 tool.

First, the "change" addresses are hidden. You have to set the "External/Internal" flag to 1 to get the keys for change.

Second, using Bash anyway, you have to make sure to insert an extra space when typing the clamd importprivkey asdfasdfoahsdfadsfasdhfasdfhasdasdf coinomi false command, or it will get saved in your bash_history. There's a configuration setting that needs to be there, or that won't work. Test it on something less serious first.

Third, clamd at least gives an error message even though the command actually works: error: {"code":-4,"message":"Error adding key to wallet"}. You can verify using clamd getaddressesbyaccount coinomi, or whatever label you used. If you didn't use a label, they'll be under the "" account.

Fourth, remember that anything you copy and paste is still in one of your two copy buffers. Clear both using echo test | xsel and echo test | xsel -b before doing anything else. One time I accidentally pasted a private key into Google because of that. Had to immediately send my funds to another wallet.

Fifth, you don't want to rescan after each import, or you will be waiting for days if you have a number of keys to add. Make sure the 3rd arg is "false" on all but the last one.

Sixth but very important, save the standalone version of Coleman's page (see "Offline Usage" near the bottom of the page) to your own disk, and make a special Firefox profile with a nonfunctioning proxy to view it.

Clamd isn't done rescanning yet but I checked using clamd listtransactions and I know those two change addresses I just added were the ones with the missing funds.

Back to blog or home page

last updated 2021-02-26 13:22:27. served from tektonic.jcomeau.com