Also, if I remember correctly, system 'pool' space was being used up to
dangerous levels and nobody knew why. When it got too bad, we had to
restart the mail processing software. When I found this code, I realized
that the problem was right here. And there was another, lower-priority
task running on the machine that was more ideally suited to this task.
So I rewrote the code and added some features, and patched it into the
'UPDATE' task, patching MA to $SDAT (send data) the necessary information
to UPDATE. It was a nice hack, and probably might have been implemented
except that the replacement of PDP-11 computers with VAXen was well
towards completion by then.